The Rover's main characteristics
The whole Rover Module weighs 258 kg (including 16.5 kg instruments)
The Rover Module needs to fit under the descent module hood
The Rover Module will accommodate the 16.5 kg of the Pasteur payload instrument set together with the necessary payload support functions.
The Rover Module design will facilitate the Assembly, Integration and Validation (AIV) and the Assembly, Integration and Tests (AIT) activities.
The Rover Module design will also allow for activities in a sterile environment for Instrument integration.
Instruments of the Rover
Position of the instruments on the rover
The rover payload, PASTEUR, includes the 12 instruments grouped in the following three subsets:
- PanCam: Panoramic Cameras
- MIMA (Martian Infrared MApper): near infrared Fourier spectrometer for the choice of targets, mineralogical study and atmosphere analysis
- WISDOM (Water Ice and Subsurface Deposit Observation on Mars): UHF Radar for a penetration of 2 to 3 meters
- CLUPI (CLose-UP Imager on ExoMars): close-up imaging for geological environment characterisation
- MIMOS II (MIniaturised Mössbauer Spectrometer): spectroscope for the analysis of the iron content in Martian material
- Raman-LIBS (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopie): Raman and laser spectroscopy for the study of Martian samples
- Ma_MISS (Mars Multispectral Imager for Subsurface Studies): spectrometer for the analysis of surface and sub-surface Martian material
- MicrOmega: infrared and visible microscope for the study of Martian samples
- LMC-SMILE (Life Marker Chip – Specific Molecular Identification of Life Experiment)
- Mars-XRD (X-Ray Diffractometer): analysis of crystal structure by diffraction with X-rays
- MOMA (Mars Organic Molecule Analyser): gas chromatograph to analyse the organic and inorganic material on and below the surface od Mars
- Urey: detection of organic components and oxidation measurement thereof
The French contributions to the PASTEUR payload are particularly important for 6 of the 12 instruments: MicrOmega, WISDOM, CLUPI, MIMOS II; MOMA and Raman-LIBS.